Timberlake tops off Super Bowl LII

Photo provided by Google Public Use

Photo provided by Google Public Use

Photo provided by Google Public Use

Somer Luitjens, Staff Writer

Last Super Bowl Sunday, between the exciting back and forth football game, Justin Timberlake put on a halftime performance that did not disappoint.

Introducing the performance that was sponsored by Pepsi-Cola was Jimmy Fallon. Timberlake sang a medley of some of his classic top-hit songs and had plenty of amazing choreography to go along with it. He started out singing some of his older songs including, “Cry Me A River,” “Sexy Back,” “Senorita,” “My Love” and “Mirrors.” Timberlake had non-stop dancing throughout these songs which was a large part of the performance. His dazzling performance of “Mirrors” included hundreds of dancers along the field holding up reflective mirrors along with the entire crowd holding up their flashlights to light up the stadium.

The highlight of the night was right in the middle of the performance when Timberlake shocked the crowd as he slowed it down a little to pay a tribute to former rockstar Prince. Timberlake sang a cover of Prince’s “I Would Die 4 U” with a large projection of Prince performing the same song simultaneously. It was the perfect setting to pay a tribute to Prince in his hometown of Minneapolis, MN. As Timberlake was singing the song, the entire stadium and its surrounding buildings lit up with purple lights to add onto the spectacular performance.   

Although many thought that the Prince tribute was classy and the highlight of the night, some Prince fans took to Twitter to slam the projection. In a 1998 interview that Prince did, he had said he despised the use of holograms. Although technically, it was a projection and not a hologram, that did not stop people from criticizing Timberlake.  

After the tribute, Timberlake ended the night with his more recent hits including, “Can’t Stop The Feeling” and “Filthy.” Overall, Timberlake topped off the perfect Super Bowl night with a breathtaking and amazing performance.